Saturday, August 3, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap

I made my own (and when I say "my own" I don't mean I made it up...it was just the best one I researched & I swear by it) laundry soap almost 2 years ago. It is so EASY to make and I just finished my 3rd batch since November 2011. Time & money spent is totally worth it!!! Seriously....try it!

What you need:
8-12 Cups of Water (I used 10)
1 Bar Fels Naptha soap (you can use any kind of bar soap)
1 Cup of Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (not baking soda!)
1 Cup of 20 Mule Team Borax
4 1/2 Gallons of Water

5 Gallon Bucket  
Grater
Big pot

Grate Fels-Naptha soap into large saucepan and cover with 8-12 cups of water.
Heat on Medium High until dissolved.
Add 1 Cup of Washing Soda and 1 Cup of Borax and mix well.
Make sure all ingredients are dissolved.  
Fill bucket with 2 gallons of HOT water and add soap mixture.  Stir to combine.
Add remaining water.  As it cools it will thicken.  Allow to thicken over night.  If it thickens too much, add hot water and mix well.  

Use 1/2 -1 Cup per load of laundry. (I use 1/4 - 3/4 cups...never more).

Products to buy $10-$12.47

I like the thickness of this grate

Add 10 cups or so of water

Boil on med-high until soap is dissolved



Fill bucket with 2 gallons of HOT water and add soap mixture.  Stir to combine.
Add remaining water.  As it cools it will thicken.  Allow to thicken over night.  If it thickens too much, add hot water and mix well. Fills about 4-1/2-5 milk jugs.



If you want to get all products at one store, Ace Hardware is the place to go. It is a bit more expensive but if you only want to make 1 trip, it's worth is.

Fels-Naptha soap - 1.99
Borax - 5.99
Super Washing Soda - 4.49

$12.47 total
You would need to buy a bar of soap each batch. This has lasted me 1 year 8 months and I still have a ton of borax left.

Other places that sell these products
Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Menards, Ace Hardware
Borax - Target, Ace Hardware
Fels-Naptha - Meijer, Walgreens, Ace Hardware

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages


Me & Lu

brothers

Fam

Us

My Boys


3 lovely children

chatting with the teenager